Ivory keytops

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:21:43 +0100

--Apple-Mail-55-336023440

On 3-jan-04, at 12:56, Jean-Jacques Granas wrote:

> Hello all,
> =A0
> I'm reading all the ivory keytops stuff with great interest, as an=20
> ivory job is awaiting me.
> =A0
> Could you explain what type of glues you're talking about. By 'white=20=

> glue' do you mean regular water soluble carpenter's glue? Past=20
> experience tells me the ivories curl up upon contact with the stuff. I=20=

> gather, therefore, that it's something else. The, what is CA glue? Is=20=

> this a type of contact cement, the stuff druggies sniff in the city=20
> park at night? :-)
> =A0
> Jean-Jacques Granas

Hi Jean-Jacques Granas

I use white glue (for wood purposes only) and indeed the ivories curl=20
up if you only apply this kind of glue.
That's why I use the CA glue as a chemical bonder and it works=20
instantly, meaning that once you put these two glues combined, they=20
will cement together and will probably never come apart again.
It is also true what Isaac Oleg wrote "that it makes it harder to=20
remove this glue residue", but on the other hand, a sander belt will do=20=

that work for you and it would be unconventional to do it otherwise.
But then : ze French built cars like 2CV's and what an unconventional=20
miracle that was! haha!
For major ivory gluing there are ivory glues on the market either from=20=

Jahn, Renner, or other suppliers.
In the far past, we used bone glue with chalk but I would try for more=20=

modern stuff.
Again, don't forget that I mentioned before that the method I use is=20
for fast repairs, but it works darn good.

btw, I think CA stands for CYANO ACRYLATE, it is the glue that works=20
hard for you in seconds! just don't get it between your fingers and=20
toes... not to speak of other bodily parts
OK?

(; >))))))

friendly greetings
from