removing broken tuning pin

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:05:59 -0700

Drive it through.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 4/30/2004 7:40:51 AM
Subject: removing broken tuning pin

Hi all,

I've come across a piano that has a broken tuning pin(it was like that when I got there...really...).  There is nothing square left on the pin fragment still in the plate.  It is in the very corner, where strut meets strut next to the stretcher.  Hacksawing a slot may be difficult.  I'm looking for advice as to the best way to get this out.

This isn't an urgent situation, since the tech that was involved in the breakage has said he'd get it out, and get a new pin and string in, but I have my doubts that that will occur, so I'd like to be ready with a solution or two should I be called on to deal with this.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl