Steinway V hammers

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:31:56 -0400

At 9:51 AM -0400 4/26/04, A440A@aol.com wrote:
>Steinway suggested 4:1 for a long time, but I remember Ron Connors saying
>3:1 was now in use.   Be aware that the thinner mix goes into the hammer
>deeper and spreads out more, so it doesn't get the same effect.
>This doping takes
>some experience, and going a little conservative is probably easier to recover
>from than the opposite.

I remember Frank Hansen (well-known piano tech in the NE for the last
sixty years) saying that as far as reinforcing hammers, you really
only had one pass to get it right. Shoulder or crown, you really
wanted the hardness on the inside instead of the outer layers. After
the initial pass, further waves of reinforcing wouldn't flow through
the felt mass as easily, and thus not as far.

So you judged the initial doping based on the sound (and feel) of the
hammers, and how a limited set of samples (say, 1, 20, 40, 64 and 88)
would respond to a given strength of lacquer. The more passes you
have to make, the more the permeability of the felt becomes a factor
in where the reinforcer ends up or whether it does you any good.

Kind of like solid tuning where you want to land it spot on with the
least amount of wire movement.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request