Steinway V hammers

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:51:34 EDT

Greetings,
  Inre my suggestion of using a voicing solution mixed 5:1, Tom asks:

> What would you thin it out with?

I use lacquer thinner, but others have found acetone to do much the same,
only quicker.

And Phil sez:
>>Tom, i think the formula is 5 parts laq/1part laq thinner. Start there
and go slow  far as the addition of the laq. You'll be surprised at how
the tone starts to come alive. patience with this, and you'll be fine. >>

  AAAYYYEEEE~!!!! That is backwards to my practise.
    I suggest 5 parts thinner to one part lacquer.  If you mix it the other
way, you will have a brick instead of a hammer.
   Steinway suggested 4:1 for a long time, but I remember Ron Connors saying
3:1 was now in use.   Be aware that the thinner mix goes into the hammer
deeper and spreads out more, so it doesn't get the same effect.  This doping takes
some experience, and going a little conservative is probably easier to recover
from than the opposite.
Good luck.

Ed Foote RPT