Resilience and energy transfer, was Acetone

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:00:59 -0500

Del,

You're absolutely right - That was a broad generalization, only true under certain specific conditions.  I was careless in my wording.  What I wanted to say was:   heavy hammers transfer a greater percentage of their kinetic energy to the string than lighter hammers.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Delwin D Fandrich
To: spalding48@earthlink.net;Pianotech
Sent: 4/23/2004 11:21:42 AM
Subject: RE: Resilience and energy transfer, was Acetone

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Michael Spalding
Sent: April 23, 2004 3:57 AM
To: oleg-i@noos.fr, Pianotech

Isaac,

 .... Heavy hammers transfer more energy to strings than light hammers.

Mike

This is broad generalization that is true only if the velocity of the two hammers stays the same, or at least approximately the same, for a given key strike. They do not. When a relatively light hammer is replaced with a heavier hammer and the key is struck with a given amount of force the velocity of the heavier hammer will be less. How much less is a function of the specific action compliance and transfer efficiency.

Del