bass hammers sound "tubby" when played

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:19:37 -0500

Julia,

Check the bass bridge to make sure it's OK and still glued to the
soundboard. Most old uprights I come across have at least some separation. A
quick check is playing down chromatically across the bass break. A sudden
change in tone quality is indicative of bridge problems.

John Formsma
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
  Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 2:06 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: bass hammers sound "tubby" when played

  greetings,

              When the bass hammers of a particular turn of the century
upright are played they sound "tubby", a very "round" dull sound. Would
these hammers be a candidate for hardening solution or is it the strings'
quality? I think it is the hammers because the bass hammers have hardly any
grooves and show little wear.
  Suggestions?

  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA