Resilience and energy transfer, was Acetone

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:42:47 -0400

Hi all,

Interesting question:  What happens to hammer felt when it is doped?

The same question can be asked about open-cell foam rubber.  Normally =
it's nice and squishy (resilient), and although it can impede sound =
reflection somewhat, it isn't that effective an acoustic material.  =
However, the stuff is commercially treated (doped with something, I =
believe) to make it a bit stiffer and very slightly "crunchy," and that =
stuff, when cut into wedges or egg crate, has great antireflective =
properties and can be seen lining the walls of the world's finest =
recording studios.  That's because it absorbs sound energy, rather than =
reflecting it.

Of course we want to do the opposite with a hammer.  We don't want the =
hammer felt to absorb the mechanical energy, but rather to transfer it =
to the string.  In a perfectly elastic collision, no energy is wasted.  =
Either it goes into the string, or it ends up in the kinetic energy of =
the hammer as it flies into the rep lever and backcheck.  Either =
application of energy is good.  To the extent that the collision is =
inelastic (e.g. when the hammers are doped and crusty, at least at a =
microscopic level), some of the energy will go into friction.  The =
remaining energy will be split between the string and the hammer's =
return.  Of course if the hammer were doped to the point of being a =
wool-reinforced mass of plastic (similar to fiberglass), I suppose it =
might be pretty elastic, but it would take a LOT of dope to start =
increasing elasticity, rather than decreasing it.

Here's an interesting experiment, though.  I have no idea how it would =
come out.  Most dopes "crust up" the felt, as evidenced by the "sugar =
coating" y'all talk about.  Thus, you have a plastic grit that rubs =
against the hairs of the wool, increasing friction and decreasing energy =
transfer.  However, if you could find something that sticks to the =
fibers, doesn't flake off, and doesn't crust up, that could increase the =
stiffness of the felt without diminishing the resilience.  This has been =
an ongoing technical issue with regard to hairspray products.  I don't =
really know the state of the art in this industry, as I don't use the =
stuff, but hairspray is a lot less "crusty" than it used to be.  In fact =
I think some of it is supposed to have elastic properties, perhaps =
providing elastic ties between hairs to stick the hair together, while =
preserving "bounce."  I wonder if some brand of modern hairspray, =
dissolved in a solvent vehicle and applied in the same manner as your =
traditional hammer dopes, would improve the performance of mooshy =
hammers without sacrificing power.  Hmmmm.....  You guys could probably =
hit the local beauty salon for tech support.  LOL!

Peace,
Sarah

----- Original Message -----=20