No needling here: to steam, or not to steam: the follow-up

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:58:34 EDT

Greetings,

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I didn't see it show up in my mailbox.

I went to check out the M and H in question yesterday, and I got a surprise
when I looked to see what was happening with the hammers.  I expected ancient,
worn things with little usable felt left. What I found was hammers less than
ten years old with substantial meat left on the bones.

I mentioned that an acetone bath was recommended by some, and the owner said
that she thought that the previous tech had used an acetone-mixed-with-
"something else"-solution to liven up the hammers.

The sound throughout was overly percussive and metallic.  I got out the
voicing tool(fully expecting to break needles), pulled the action, found one of the
nastiest sounding hammers, and gave it a couple of probes.  There was plenty
of compliance under the needle.  I softened up the shoulders, then lightly
sugar-coated the crown.  Re-inserted the action, and the "ping" on F# 3 was gone!

The next 2 hours were spent poking hammers. It was really pre-voicing, then
dotting the stike points. The crowns were almost crusty.  I pictured surface
snow on a spring morning.  Whatever hardener was used ended up right on the
surface, I assume.

When I was done with the initial stab-fest, the entire character of the piano
had changed.  I did some touch up to even things a bit, though it was still
less than perfect before I ran out of time.  Nonetheless, it was enjoyable to
play again, and the owner was thrilled to have her "old piano" back.

So it was a happy ending, and I was pleased to not have to resort to chemical
warfare.  The only one not thrilled by the whole deal was my right arm, which
was extremely tired from using my little generic voicing tool--a boy doing a
man's work, one might say.  Recommendations for a good voicing tool, please??
 Renner's seems like a very sturdy and practical instrument.

Thanks again for all of the input, folks!  It's been a very instructive few
days.

Dave Stahl