FW: Hantavirus additional information

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:02:57 -0500

List members
Since a number of pianos I/we encounter have/had mice in them, I wanted to
find out how long the virus was active and or infectious.  Here is the reply
received from the CDC.

Paul C

-----Original Message-----
From: CIDDVD1-SPATH [mailto:dvd1spath@cdc.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 3:04 PM
To: Paul Chick (EarthLink)
Subject: RE: Hantavirus

Paul:

The length of time hantaviruses can remain infectious in the environment
is highly variable and depends on environmental conditions such as
temperature, humidity, whether the virus is indoors or outdoors exposed
to the sun, and even the rodent's diet (which would affect the chemistry
of its urine).  Viability for two to three days has been shown at normal
room temperature.  Exposure to sunlight will decrease the time of
viability.  Freezing temperatures will actually increase the time that
the virus remains viable, especially if not exposed to sunlight.

One important practical conclusion from these data is the following:
since the survival of infectious virus is measured in terms of hours or
days, only active infestations of infected rodents result in the
conditions which are likely to lead to human hantavirus infection.

For additional information about hantavirus, please see our Web site:
www.cdc.gov/hantavirus

For information on preventing hantavirus, please see our Seal Up, Trap
Up, Clean Up page:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps_stc/stc_spot.htm

If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Abbigail

Abbigail Tumpey, MPH CHES
Health Education Unit