No needling here: to steam, or not to steam?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:31:11 +0200

Hi !

Poor poor hammers (sight !)

Well here I go again with the usual speech :
To get some inside about traditional voicing means accept the fact
that we will ruin more or less a few sets , particularly if we are not
instructed enough or working with the good people around.

BUT having that knowledge is more than useful for everyday work, and
not only when you have to change hammers.
Becoming an acceptable voicer makes yet a difference like in
Shakespeare (to be or not to be) and protect as well our ears when you
tune.

It is a amazing opportunity that those days some are willing to
transmit to who cares, the knowledge that was for years hidden and
protected jealously by a few.

Ask any concert pianist, and he will tell you that very rare are good
tuners, and good technicians generally, so if you want to take that
train it is a way to have a more interesting work, less tuning, more
nice pianos, and happy people to deal with (and  believe me, I work as
well for fine old ladies !).

For a training, a hammer change, keeping the shanks if you want to
really cut costs, may be feasible in a few days work for a beginner
(let's say 3-4 days)

Even if you screw up the job some, the result will be far better than
with dead hammers, so I'd go for it.

The first problem apparently is the lack of good hammers, the lack of
understanding what a good hammer is (while some makers in the US seem
to go the good direction) . (and the lack of money ;>(

Steaming lacquered hammers is interesting if you like potatoes (!)
Washing may certainly be an option, it helps for sure, but the tone
will stay bad in the end.

I had the case on a Boston (lacquered) and acetone wash makes the tone
only a little more acceptable, and only after a thorough battery
needling have been done to bring a tad of life in those inerte things.

That mean the hammer will have to be changed nowadays. With your
customer I'll do the following :

Instruct the lady about hammer aging and why (do you know why ?)

Explain that I try a "last resort trick with acetone" only to allow
the piano to be used for some time.

Get pay for that work (more than the guy that put the product) with
the option that the money spend will be deducted when the hammers will
be changed so you do this work with a backup in hand , and you are
covered with the usual "that is good enough to me"

Plan to sell a hammer change (for a fair price) later.

As you will be experimenting yourself on the customer's piano it is
understandable that the cost may not be that high, but in the end
everyone should be happy.

Chances are that the acetone will leave your customer and yourself
frustrated, so be ready for it.

this approach seem to me that YOU "buy" the customer problem and SHE
"buy" yours as well.

Now,

Seem to me that the first thing we have to understand is that we have
to deserve some respect for the hammer felt, it is a natural material,
carefully engineered, (by enthusiast ) and it may be treated gentle,
like the remaining of the instrument.

Magic is not very common in piano work, it seem to but it is only work
!

I don't know what to say more, the most difficult (and it does not
look like) thing to learn is in fact the hearing and the evaluation of
tone. No doubt listening music and concerts is a big help for that.
Playing piano for sure, but isn't so necessary in the end. Because
listening allows you to know beforehand where are you throwing your
needles and why (or whatever action you take) and that what you hear
if correct, is confirmed with what you find under your needles, that
makes a whole.

Another important aspect in voicing is cultural me think.

Just to be clear, I'll add that even here in France, I regularly found
old hammers that where 'salvaged' with dope, as it seem that many
technicians don't make the difference between power and volume in
their tone approach.

So this is not only oversee if you see what I mean. The fact that
customers call me , even after the initial job have been done by some
"masters" say it all : they feel unsatisfied with something in their
piano tone.
For a long time I only could understand why they where unsatisfied,
but was unable to get a complete picture of the reasons and how to
correct that.

I am very slow to understand things and to learn new tips or methods ,
may be because I am 47, but every new method need to be practiced
again and again till the light come on.

I am lucky enough to have meet a young , talented and generous piano
Master, (I name it) Andre, that (seem to me) also was focused on those
questions for most probably a very long time. I know understand why he
(we) urge people around to get those knowledge and fast, that is a
very long and difficult way if you are to find it by yourself, and at
this date NEVER I find someone that could explain with an easy logic
the method of traditional voicing and the tone analysis in regard of
the work (and I worked among very talented people).

I'll add that even Steinway techs used lacquer for some time in the
70's to darken the tone while adding power - Never I've find those
jobs to be good after some time (aspirin needed) I'll presume that
this had became a necessity because of the poor quality of the felt
available at these moments, that had to be needled as much as 150 jabs
each side for the first voicing, leaving no power in the end too
often.

The last 10 years had, like someone on the list said recently show a
good amount of common solutions , tricks and methods leaved along the
road. No doubt lacquer is , unlike Rock and Roll , going to take the
little backdoor sooner or later.

Then, let the force be with us ;>)

Hope that smog not too much the debate.

With best regards, and all encouragements possible.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy