No needling here: to steam, or not to steam?

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:18:50 -0600

>Is polythene impervious to acetone?  Where might I find a sheet of it?

Hi Dave,
                    You can get polythene in sheets at any hardware store,
and yes it's impervious.
Dale, has given you a similar spin. leave the steam alone, just keep
flushing <G>
Don't be shocked if you use a pint to a quart of acetone.  And yes, you
need lots of ventilation, a face mask will also make life more comfortable.

I either do the job in the shop, or on the customers door step.  Don't even
think of doing it in the home.
A hair drier can help to gas off the acetone a little quicker.
If it is key top hardener,  it will take a few weeks before you really get
a full idea of where the tone will end up.
If you over do it a little, (but I doubt it) wait at least a week before
doing any further chemical treatment.
Minor reshaping with 320 grit paper will bring the tone back up in
brightness a little. A little ironing with a warm voicing iron will
stabilize the felt.

Regards roger