No needling here: to steam, or not to steam?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:03:06 EDT

Voicers, steamers, needlers, what have you,

I have recently done a small amount of work installing short lid props for a
woman who has two pianos, a Steinway M, and a Mason A.  When I was there, she
complained about the tone of the M and H, saying that the last tuner applied
something to the hammers, and it hasn't been her sweet old piano since.

 I tried the instrument, and sure enough, it sounded like bricks hitting tin
cans.  I told her that if she was dissatisfied with it, she should call the
person who juiced it and have her voice it down.  She did, and lots of needling
didn't do the trick.

When I was there last, I'd mentioned that I heard steam voicing yielded good
results, but I wasn't sure how it would work on over-lacquered hammers.  And
I've never tried the technique myself, though many on this list have sung its
praises.

She is at wit's end, and wants her old M and H tone back.  I said I'd come
and check the piano out, and look into the possibility of steaming the hammers.
I'm not certain how old the hammers are, but if something doesn't help them
out soon, replacement will be in the cards(probably not a bad thing, except
financially...:-().

Questions:  How well does this technique work on over-lacquered hammers?  Can
someone describe the best way to go about it?  I've heard damp-cloth/dry iron
works well.

Maybe I should try side-needling....:-)

Thanks for any input.  I'll be scoping the piano out on Thursday.

Dave Stahl