something new every day

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:12:09 -0800

We've come across this "feature" on several pianos. (And not just grands.)
Most recently we found it on one of two Knabe 7' 8" (or something) grands we
did back to back. They were built about two years apart. The first (and
oldest) had an open-faced pinblock and normal nosebolts. The second had a
closed in pinblock (obviously a rather crude modification of the original
plate pattern) and two nosebolts with nowhere to go -- the location of the
bellybraces had changed. Presumably a running design change in which plates
intended for an earlier design were being used up.

I have also encountered this feature in pianos that had been modified at the
factory for various reproducer mechanisms. During the modification various
bellybraces are either cut out or left out.

Del