needling technique

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:33:57 +0200

To Jason and list,

It is like Richard Brekne said :
"In a reasonably pressed hammer, the appropriate amount of shoulder=20
needling releases some of the inner tension directionally towards the=20
top (crown)  of the hammer adding to its resiliancy and power".
I think to have a clear image we must try to follow the felting=20
procedure :
A big slab of stone hard felt is pressed around a rather thin wooden=20
molding. Enormous pressure is needed to fold the felt around it.
If you don't glue the felt and release it from the caul, it will=20
immediately jump back to its former flat position.
If you glue the felt and cut the hammer sideways in the crown, the felt=20=

will jump open in two halves which both will point to a side of the=20
hammer.
It means that the tension build up is not sideways but towards both=20
crown and basis of the hammer.
We must also keep in mind that hammer felt consists of many layers=20
lying on top of each other.
The fibers of these layers interconnect (the fulling process) but=20
nevertheless, they remain layers.
The Wurzen factory used to have a trademark in the form of a thin layer=20=

of darker wool. A hammer, felted with this wool will show a very thin=20
stripe going up and down around the molding. It clearly shows just one=20=

layer.

Sticking a needle in from the side (as described by Mr Ari Isaac) will=20=

puncture just a fraction of the layered hammer and if you stick it all=20=

the way through you damage one layer for ever.
Sticking your needles in not from the side but into the front and back=20=

of the hammer will puncture many layers at the same time but not damage=20=

them completely as you do from the side.
This old and much used method, the voicing method with needles, is also=20=

at its most economic when we use three needles at the same time and=20
make a zig zag movement like a sewing machine, thereby using the=20
available small needling space in a safer and more economical way.
Banging your needles in with reasonable speed and force will have a=20
long lasting effect and that's how it should be.
And indeed, needling from the side requires you to actually take out=20
each hammer and put it on a bench because you will otherwise easily=20
damage the shank or the center pin.
It is not my method in any case and there is also no factory on Earth=20
using the sideway needling technique.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 20-apr-04, at 14:15, Corte Swearingen wrote:
> Jason,
>
> I tried this technique on my own Yamaha U1 and, I have to say, I =
didn't
> notice much difference.  Maybe I should have been using a slightly=20
> thicker
> needle.  The downside to this technique is that you really have to be
> careful so as to not exert to much pressure sideways on the=20
> hammer/shank
> assembly.  It's not as easy as it sounds.
>
> Corte Swearingen
> Chicago
>

>                       "jason kanter"
>                       <jkanter@rollingb        To:       "Pianotech"=20=

> <pianotech@ptg.org>
>                       all.com>                 cc:
>                       Sent by:                 Subject:  abel needling=20=

> technique
>                       pianotech-bounces
>                       @ptg.org
>

>                       04/19/2004 11:39
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       Pianotech
>

> Last year I came across a Web article describing Abel's method of=20
> needling
> hammers. Can someone describe the technique? I can't find it. It=20
> involves
> needling into, or through, the hammer from the side instead of in from=20=

> the
> shoulders and crown. What do you folks think about this method?
>
> Jason

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek