abel needling technique

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:12:01 -0700

I have not found this to be true at all.  Neither have I found that
needling from the side accomplishes the same thing as shoulder needling,
which is to give a bit of spring to the shoulders.  Needling in the
shoulders releases tension in that part of the hammer, which is why it
puffs out.  Needling from the side might have an effect on the density in
that area, but it doesn't release tension in the same way.  On hammers like
Renner produces (or Abel) I find the traditional method to yield better and
longer lasting results.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net