special characters - was Coffee spill on the Bridge -- OT

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:13:38 -0400

Hi Avery,

I *vaguely* remember Windows 98, but it's been a long, long time.  As I
recall, in that version they still put their executable files in the main
Windows directory.  This utility has always had the same icon, which looks
like a little key button with a character on each side of it -- sort of the
way dice would be printed if they had letters instead of dots.  Use your
Windows Explorer to look through your main Windows directory, and you should
see that little icon *somewhere*, I think.  Double click on it, and you're
there.

However, I also recall that a lot of good, useful stuff was removed in '98,
including the backup utility and cardfile.  When I upgraded from '95, I
think I might have just transferred those utilities over (since they still
ran in '98).

If all else fails, you can probably type special characters with your
keyboard. To type the dotted 'u' thingie, you would hold down the Alt key,
type '252' (or perhaps '0252') and then release the Alt key.  That's because
that character has the ASCII character assignment of #252.  It doesn't work
with *all* computers, but if you're running '98, it will probably work on
yours.

Peace,
Sarah