abel needling technique

Corte Swearingen cswearingen@daigger.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:15:56 -0500

Jason,

I tried this technique on my own Yamaha U1 and, I have to say, I didn't
notice much difference.  Maybe I should have been using a slightly thicker
needle.  The downside to this technique is that you really have to be
careful so as to not exert to much pressure sideways on the hammer/shank
assembly.  It's not as easy as it sounds.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      "jason kanter"
                      <jkanter@rollingb        To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      all.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  abel needling technique
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      04/19/2004 11:39
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Last year I came across a Web article describing Abel's method of needling
hammers. Can someone describe the technique? I can't find it. It involves
needling into, or through, the hammer from the side instead of in from the
shoulders and crown. What do you folks think about this method?

Jason