Action Rail Hole Spacing

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:47:17 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Anyone have any great ideas for how to accurately space screw holes in
> an action rail? I need to make a new let-off rail for an old M&H
> upright and the only way I can figure to do it is to use the old one
> as a guide and mark the new wooden rail. Is there a better way to space?
>
> Terry Farrell

It would strike me as a good idea to use the old rail as a guide, unless
you know it was full of problems.  Otherwise its jig making time.
Shouldnt be too hard to contrive some kind of a hole spacing jig.
Perhaps a retractable dowel swing mounted so that for each new hole to
be drilled the rail is held in place by the dowel inserted into the
previoiusly drilled hole ??

You're pretty clever at this kind of thing Terry, so I just know you are
able to come up with something better !  I have faith in you... grin.

Cheers
RicB