Hantavirus- Demousification

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

Use of chlorine bleach, in any amount, inside a piano,
will result in massive rust deposits and the piano
will need to be trashed. Even if you restrung it,
lingering chlorine fumes would rust the new strings.
Use something else to disinfect, and I am eager to
hear suggestions on just what this might be? I am
about to try cleaning and bleaching some
mouse-infested keys ( where they usually poop ) and
the keybed, with oxalic acid. Will report on how this
works to eliminate odor and remove stains.
    But I will also probably paint the keysticks and
keybed with spray epoxy, to seal any remaining odors
in.
    Action parts that are black from ammonia fumes
from the urine can be largely cleaned by dunking them
in a water- based automotive degreaser ( like "Purple
Stuff" ) then rinsed, dried on a screen, refelted and
lubricated.
     But, if the mouse infestation is bad enough,
absolutely NOTHING will fully remove the stench, as it
will have permeated the case wood and action parts
completely. It is a  pheremone sexual attractant,
excreted along with the urine and feces, and will
continue to attract other mice to the piano as long as
it exists.
     Thump