The Stringer, etc, and spinet woes

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:49:22 -0600

Hi John and Mickey,
The stringer will do no good for the problem  described. If the bass =
strings are in the way, loosen them until you can easily get your =
fingers in to do the work at the bridge pins. Sometimes putting a slight =
bend at the lower bridge pin will help ease the difficulty and blue =
smoke that somehow seems to rise from the piano in moments like this.
There is a tool that looks like a double screw driver that can be a help =
on most strings but is of no use when the bridge pins are directly =
behind the key bed frame.
 So I did not mind loosing it a few years back. <G>
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John M. Formsma=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 12:22 PM
  Subject: RE: The Stringer, etc, and spinet woes

   << And indeed it wasn't -- except for the little detail of getting =
the wire properly routed against the bridge pins.  Naturally, given my =
luck, the bridge for the notes in question is located directly opposite =
the keyboard.  As a result, it's nearly impossible to reach by mortal =
methods.  I worked for over an hour just trying to get the string to =
seat on the bridge.  Tried every tool in my arsenal.  >>  =20

  Isn't this how it usually works?? Sheesh...I hate it when that =
happens.=20

   << I'm certainly not the experienced old hand that typifies this =
list, but I'm not exactly an amateur either.  I've replaced strings in =
uprights and grands, and just last week I did a knot in the bass of a =
Kimball console that worked fine.  But today I feel like I'm starting =
all over again. >>

  I have days where I feel like a raw beginner. Usually happens when I =
don't get enough sleep. =20

   << Please -- can somebody give me some tips?  How do you seat the =
string on the bridge when the bridge is buried behind the keyboard, as =
well as behind an action that is nearly impossible to remove?  I really =
want to make this piano right -- or at least as right as possible under =
the circumstances. >>

  I've used one of those damper wire bending tools - the one with the =
straight slot (or sometimes the angled one) along with a combination =
tool screwdriver blade to work the string onto its proper place. The =
wire must be loose enough so you can work it into place. Cursing it =
seems to help (just kidding <g>).

  Every time I have to do one of these repairs, I always tell myself "I =
gotta get one of those Stringers!" Maybe I'll get one on my next =
Pianotek order. The big problem is that I'm running out of tool space in =
my trunk and getting a huge overflow inside!=20

  John Formsma