Coffee spill on the Bridge

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:07:18 +0200

Hi there OOR :)

I guess I was a bit unclear.  The incident itself has been reported and
a full investigation is in swing. They probably will find out who is
responsible, tho conclusive proof is always tough in lue of an outright
admission of guilt.  That said, I have been asked by the administration
to file a report assessing the real physical damage and an estimate as
to the reduction in value to this instrument.

This was a fairly decent instrument which really just needed a new set
of hammers and shanks more then anything else. I realize the effect of a
1/4 liter hot coffee and  cream dumped right on top of the bridge right
at the killer octave zones fat spot is hard to predict, but I do need to
rightly underline the potential for damage so as to emphasize the
seriousness of such incidents.

I also realize that school policy regarding such things varies greatly
from institution to institution. Some schools are very agressive in
dealing with this kind of problem, others have given up trying years
ago.  Our school greatly desires to find a positive way of preventing
this kind of thing and will respond in a way that will leave all
students aware that the teachers and administration are extremely
displeased that  <<whoever did this>> has so carelessly damaged one of
its few decent practice instruments.

So I need to write out a fair and just assessment of the real damage and
potential long term damage to the instrument.

Cheers
RicB