TUNING HAMMERS/LEVERS

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:04:30 -0400

At 9:14 AM -0400 4/15/04, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>Both have a very different feel  but as Richard Davenport once said
>to me "hey you can learn to tune with a broom handle if that s all
>you've got".

I agree. Right now, you've got to immediately replace a stolen
hammer, so now is not the time to research  everybody else's absolute
top'o'th'line hammer. Hammers, like actions for pianists, are an
individual fit. What works for everyone's biceps and wrist and (and
matches their cuff-links) may not work for you. So buy yourself a $20
gooseneck hammer, and the next Guild convention exhibit hall you're
in, try all the fancy ones. Unless, of course, there isn't something
else you could be buying the replacement for, with the extra $200 in
price.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, Duck's Breath Mystery Theater