OT. Someone has my email address, please help

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:24:59 -0400

Hi Benny,

What Andy said!

I'll add that if a virus email has your return address on it, it is
*probably* not from your machine.  Almost all viruses forge the return
addresses.  I get the same sorts of messages you do, albeit not with great
frequency, and my machines continue to be virus free (knock on wood).

One final note:  You must be very cautious about the bounce notices that you
are getting.  They may not be legitimate.  You are assuming that someone is
intentionally or unwittingly sending an infected email to, for instance, XYZ
Corp., and XYZ corp then bounces an automated message back to you to inform
you that "your" email is infected.  However, some viruses spread themselves
in the form of bounce notices:  Normally, when you get a notice that an
email of yours has bounced, there is often an attachment to the notice,
containing your original email.  You haven't a clue what the email is until
you open the attachment.  Nowadays, some of those attachments are really
viruses, and the fake bounce notice dupes you into opening the infected
attachment!  Beware!

Peace,
Sarah