Grotrian lost it's singing tone

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:38:35 +0200

Hi Greg,

I think I know what you you mean. I have had similar experiences.
It most probably has to do with temperature and humidity changes.
Hammers are typical humidity gauges : they absorb moisture or release
it.
In both cases the sound may alter dramatically.
And, as we all know, draft is killing an otherwise healthy and stable
tuning.
Then there is the matter of acoustics.
I have worked for some time in a very famous but at the same time
infamous concert hall and during that time I have gone through all the
humidity and temperature changes you can imagine, including  terrible
drafts and stage lights.

In the end, you may have to just cope with the way it is and make the
best of it.
My advice would be to let the instrument adjust to the space it is in.
Usually instruments under those kind of circumstances become like dogs
that you don't allow in anymore.
They have to get tough staying outside all the time.
Just treat them fair and with kindness and hopefully they will get used
to it.

P.S. wait with dramatic measures and remind yourself that if the
instrument changes from one day to the other it has nothing to do with
voodoo.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek