orchestral tuning

DCrpt@comcast.net DCrpt@comcast.net
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 03:29:33 +0000

     I know this a little late and others may have already said what i am about to say.
     I am a trombone player,and with a BM in performance so I know some things about Bassoons.A bassoon is definately not a fixed pitch instrument.The metal tube that the reed goes on is called a bokel(Spelling?).The bokel goes into the body of the basoon with a tight fitting cork bushing around the end.To change the pitch or tune the instrument the player pulls out or pushes in the bokel.As far as the holes being set electronically,I doubt that.The makers probably have a template to determine where the keys and finger holes go.The intonation of the instrument is controled by the player makeing small adjustmnets to the emboucher(or pressure the lips put on the reed).                                                   Robin Olson RPT