The Stringer or a curtain rod?

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:05:21 -0700

Let's just say that I have one, I don't use it too much, maybe twice a =
year, or so, but when I need it, it saves me from cursing while I'm =
working. I got one when they first came out, and if they now cost $50, I =
don't think that I'd hesitate to get another if it came to it.  I charge =
my customers about $50 an hour, so why would I waste an hour making =
something that's undoubtedly going to be inferior, when I can spend that =
hour doing what I'm better at, and using the money to buy a tool that =
works well.  Oh, and replacing a string in the tenor of a spinet..... =
yeah, you'll be glad you bought one.

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MKurta=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 5:17 PM
  Subject: Re: The Stringer or a curtain rod?

      Hi Cy:
      1.  Two holes because you will be only using one or two holes =
depending on whether you are replacing a single string or two strings =
using one length of wire.  The holes keep the wires from twisting around =
each other as they are installed.
      2.  I stated 9 and 3 o'clock positions only for reference meaning =
they should be opposite each other.  I could have said 12 & 6, or 10 & =
4, or......
      3.  The end is soldered closed in order that the two holes can be =
drilled in the end of the tubing thus maintaining the correct =
orientation of the two wires.  Epoxy could be used, you could even smash =
the end of the tube flat then drill two holes.  The idea of two tubes is =
good also, the function of any tool of this type is to separate the two =
strings as they are being fished down to the hitch pin, and keep them =
separated as the tool is withdrawn. =20
      No mistake, the Pianotek version is a fine piece of work, but the =
brass tubes are somewhat fragile, and the cost is high for a tool that =
is used only occasionally. =20
      Mike Kurta