Orchestral Tuning

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:27:15 -0500

Thanks, Stan.

At 11:40 AM 4/13/04, you wrote:
>Ron & List,
>
>Something came up on the CAUT list today where someone said that
>trumpets were now being manufactured for A-442. Is this true? Or
>is it just an option besides A-440? Just wondering.
>
>Avery
>Avery!
>
>First, the difficulty for the designer/manufacturer of any wind instrument
>is that the player and the player's choice of mouthpiece (and related
>equipment) has an effect upon pitch that cannot be predicted
>accurately.  Therefore, if the pitch target is A440, then the instrument
>must be constructed so as to allow for tuning both above and below--that's
>why there is a tuning slide.

I agree. That was my point. When an orchestras' pitch gets too much above
442, I would think that wind players would have to have special instruments
built. I'm aware of the adjustments available on wind instruments (brass)
but it's still limited! One can only push "in" so far! Reeds are even more
limited.

>If the player needs half an inch of travel in the slide in order to
>achieve A440, then that had to be built in, or the instrument modified
>later.  AND, even if the player/instrument interface is neutral, so to
>speak, if the performance happens to be in an environment where the
>temperature is below normal room temperature, then the instrument will
>respond at a lower pitch than normal--so the tuning slide must be pulled
>in to adjust.

I'm not even talking about the humidity thing. I'm just referring to the
differences between
the pitch levels of various orchestras around the world and how the
instrumentalists have to adjust to it. Especially over 442! If a trumpet,
for example, is manufactured for A-440 (give or take), my assumption is
that to play in an orchestra who's pitch level is 445 (for example), that
player might have to have a different instrument manufactured so he could
deal with that pitch level! Am I wrong?

I used to play bassoon and there's no way that I could tune to a level like
that without a specially made reed/bocal and/or more probably, a specially
made instrument.

>  My guess is that A442 might be a dangerously LOW pitch for a new
> instrument with the slide pul! led all the way in.
>

>Stan Ryberg
>Barrington IL
>jstan40@sbcglobal.net

Avery