The Stringer or a curtain rod?

Mickey Kessler mickeykes@charter.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:49:35 -0400

Hi all,

I recently tuned a crummy Everett spinet in a church, in a cramped corner
next to the pipe organ -- and a treble string broke.  I've been considering
investing in a product sold by Pianotech called The Stringer.  It appears
to be mostly just a long metal tube used to help insert a string in the
proper place without having to remove the drop action.  I seem to recall
the Reblitz recommended something similar: using a hollow curtain rod pole.

Does anybody have any experience with either technique?  Is a Stringer
worth fifty bucks, or will a curtain rod suffice?  Or do you have better
techniques for putting new strings in spinets?

Mark Kessler

"The bassoon is one of my favorite instruments... Some people crave
baseball . . . I find this unfathomable, but I can easily understand why a
person could get excited about playing the bassoon."

Frank Zappa