temperaments

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:01:15 -0500

Greetings Elwood,
	I think you hit the nail on the head.   I am enthusiastic about
using early ET methods tuned by ear for those interested in hearing
music as "Chopin might have heard it". However I have not had
opportunity except on my own pianos.
	Anyhow, I suggest you try the Montal procedure as it is the most
comprehensive and was recently presented in detail in the Journal.  You
can find a tuner's "map" at the end of
http://www.pnotec.com/user/MontalJournart.doc  under the title "Quick
Pattern".  This really does work and I am wondering if other tuners get
similar results with the 3rds as I do?
	To get the historical version of "Broadwood's Best"  it is best
to consult the Ellis translation of Helmholtz "Sensation of Tone" 3rd
ed, Dover. P 485. Since Ellis describes it in only one sentence, I can
save you the look up. The offsets though should be presented in a spread
sheet which I can do if you wish.
	"These, (4 pianos by 4 of Broadwood's tuners, 3 being
"Broadwood's  Best) were all tuned  by the modern way of Fifths up and
Fourths down, ~with 5ths being 2 cents flat and fourths 2 cents wide~".
"As this interval of 2 cents lies on the very boundary of perception by
ear, the difficulty of tuning thus without attending to the beats is
enormous." ......"Messr. Broadwood's tuners set c'(C4, middle C) from
c'' fork "and then tune in order: C4 G3 D4 A3 E4 B3 F#4 C#4 G#3 D#4 A#3
F3 C4 with the proof the final agrees with the initial c'".

	Also checkout http://www.pnotec.com/Articles.html  "James
Broadwood and ET, 1811"  This is the text of an article written by JB
himself extolling virtues and giving methods of tuning it.

Richard Moody