there's NO business like NO business

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:17:34 -0700

It can take time to build a large and reliable clientele.  You must be persistent and consistent.  Many of the suggestions made are good ones.  The best thing you can do, though, is to make sure you provide the highest quality work.  Always do a little more than is required, and let them know that you did.  You want to be sure you keep the people you do get.  Talk to each one about how frequently they want the piano serviced and try to schedule them in advance when possible.  If they don't want to do that then let them know that you are willing to remind them when the piano is due as part of your service.  Let people know that while business is good, you are looking for more and that referrals are appreciated.  You can try some incentives as well.  If you travel to different areas, let people know that if they get you a referral from someone you can schedule on the same day in their area, you will discount the rate slightly for both of them.   Do these things consistently and take a few minutes at each service call to establish a relationship with each customer.   A professional relationship should neither be too close nor too distant.

A schedule based purely on tuning can be very taxing on the body and brain so developing other skills is vital to not only keeping your income consistent, but in giving you a needed mental and physical break.  A complete regulation job is worth as much as several tunings, as is a complete tone regulating job: filing, fitting, voicing.  Hammer replacement, damper replacement, humidity control installation, key covering, restringing, etc., etc., are all things that you can do to take the burden off of a pure tuning schedule.  But the jobs need to be sold most of the time.  Learn to recognize when the work needs to be done and how to communicate it to the customer in a way that lets them know the difference it will make.  If you don't feel comfortable doing the work, consult or subcontract a more experienced tech to do shop work until you do feel comfortable.  You can usually make something on their work anyway as many techs provide discounts to the trade in such situations.

As was previously mentioned, picking up an old upright or a cheap grand is a good way to start learning some basic rebuilding/reconditioning skills without a large outlay of cash.  It will give you something to do when you do have downtime, and you can make a bit of profit on it as well.

I think the best thing to keep in mind is that you need to outline a general plan for how you will approach each customer and situation.  Look for opportunities and stick with it.  Keep climbing the learning curve no matter what and improve your skills and repertoire.  If your work is consistent and you're a cordial guy, you'll get work and the business will continue to grow.

Good luck.  Chicago's a great place.  That's where I started.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 4/11/2004 4:14:20 PM
Subject: Re: there's NO business like NO business

List

Several of you have responded that if it weren't for rebuilding, store work, or other sources of income you don't know what you'd do...

Of course, I have other sources of income.  But I entered into this pianotech thing with the assumption that one day I'd be able to make a living at tuning pianos.  Your responses lead me to believe that this may be more difficult than I first thought/hoped.

I recall my first PTG meeting.  I attended the informal dinner before the meeting, and I asked everyone at the table, "Is there enough work out there for me, and for everyone?"  A resounding YES from ALL at the table was the response, and yet when the meeting began, the VP stood up (an outgoing jovial kind of guy) and called out to the membership, "How many here tuned a piano today?"  Half the room raised their hands.

Half the room.

"How many tuned two pianos today?"  Less than a dozen.

"More than two?"  Maybe 4 or 5 guys raised their hands.  Out of maybe 35 guys.

It's times like this, when I have three tunings in three weeks, that makes me wonder if I've invested alot of time and money in a part-time job.

Tom Sivak
Chicago