Rims and such...

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 06:22:05 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
  Sent: April 10, 2004 2:08 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Rims and such...

  Is the Bosy inner rim made of spruce?

  What is the "proper" term for the wooden braces/beams/posts on pianos. I
tend to use several terms because I don't know which is "right", or most
widely accepted in the industry.

  Why are ?most? braces/beams/posts made of spruce? I trust a hardwood would
work just as well, if not better? Is it just because the better, more clear,
spruce is used in the soundboard and the manufacturer always has some
"inferior" spruce left over, and a natural place for that rejected
soundboard wood to go is into the braces/beams/posts?

  Terry Farrell

It's relatively light weight and it used to be inexpensive. Belly bracing
can be made of most anything. Upright back posts are another issue.

Del