there's NO business like NO business

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:45:02 -0500

Tom,

Actually, this entire year has been great for me.

I will say, though, that I have been calling people who are due for their
next tuning. If I had to rely on the phone ringing, I would have starved
last year! :-)

You are a salesman! If you ain't offering your services, you ain't gonna
make no money...

Here's what I do:
  I use PTBiz which gives me a list of everyone who is due for a
tuning/service. I go down the list.

  It's so much better to first call the "easy" clients. Doctors, lawyers,
piano teachers, etc. Find those of your clientele who have disposable
income. These folks are less likely to say no. I remember my better
customers who usually get tunings every six months. I always call them
first, and call the rest if I don't have enough to fill the day.

  Remember, a "no" does not mean never again. Mentally get to the point
where a "no" just means "not yet." Call 'em back in a couple months. Sound
confident - sound like you know you're going to get an appointment.

  Have a script, either mental or written. I say something like this: "Hi,
this is John Formsma, the piano tuner. I'm calling because your piano is due
for it's next tuning. I'll be in your area on ____. Would you like me to
stop by while I'm town?" I live in a rural area, but work a large area,
driving usually within a 60+ mile radius. I always have alternate dates of
when I'll be in their area again so an appointment can be scheduled for
another time if they're busy that day. For instance, I usually work the same
area on the same day of the week. That way, I can always say, "I'll be there
next week on Tuesday - would that work?" If "Yes," I know I have at least
one tuning and can work to fill up that day in that area.

  I try not to begin the conversation with "How are you?" That's usually
recognized as someone trying to sell them something. Thank you
telemarketers! :-(

  I've been trying to get a system going like Barbara Richmond shared
recently. It's a great idea to schedule the next tuning before leaving.
Also, another idea one of our chapter members uses is to pre-schedule a
customer just before leaving. Tell the customer you recommend tuning twice a
year (or whatever frequency). Ask them how often they'd like have their
piano serviced. Then, have them print their address on a pre-printed
postcard - one side instructs them to call you to schedule an appointment -
the other side has THEIR handwritten address on it. When you get home, stick
that in an "October" folder to be mailed out in six months. Then, during the
last week of September, mail them out! Always makes me look twice when I
receive something with my own writing, such as a USPS return receipt. I
haven't yet tried this, but it seems like a really powerful postcard system
for those who want to use postcards.

I'm working on expanding my skills. Mainly focusing now on passing the RPT
exams. Therefore, I've had to make myself learn to regulate and other stuff.
It's AMAZING how much you can recommend when you know what's going on with
that action! Just yesterday, I recommended that some touch-up regulation be
done on a church piano. The man said, "OK, when can you do that because we
want to keep our piano in good condition so that the warranty will be
honored." This will be my fourth regulation this year all because I
mentioned that it needed to be done. I did ZERO last year because the skills
were not developed. Will be rebuilding my first grand this summer. It's my
own that I bought for $600, and the summer is usually slow, so I hope to be
using my time that way when I don't have appointments.

I hope this helps, Tom. Once you get a bigger database, it gets better. I
have a lot of customers in the database. Not all of them are regulars, but
that makes a bunch of poeple who can fill in the gaps. But, you have to call
them sometimes.

For me as a Christian, I know that ultimately it is God who "gives the power
to get wealth." It is humbling to realize how He provides for my family's
needs. I'm soooo thankful for it. BUT, He does require that I get out there
and hustle, hustle, hustle or I don't get squat! :-)

Blessings,

John Formsma