Rims and such...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:08:01 -0400

Is the Bosy inner rim made of spruce?

What is the "proper" term for the wooden braces/beams/posts on pianos. I =
tend to use several terms because I don't know which is "right", or most =
widely accepted in the industry.

Why are ?most? braces/beams/posts made of spruce? I trust a hardwood =
would work just as well, if not better? Is it just because the better, =
more clear, spruce is used in the soundboard and the manufacturer always =
has some "inferior" spruce left over, and a natural place for that =
rejected soundboard wood to go is into the braces/beams/posts?

Terry Farrell

> All woods are naturally resonant. What sets spruce apart from most =
other
> woods, either hard or soft, is its particularly high =
stiffness-to-weight
> ratio. The one thing you don't want in a rim (or a soundboard either, =
for
> that) is resonance. In either place resonances are voicing problems. =
The rim