Answer to Diagnostic Quiz

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:09:19 -0500

>    In the Denver area schools, we have many of these that date from the
>early 50's and late 60's and I haven't encountered any splitting, cracking,
>or separation of bridge caps, so it must happen only in certain climates or
>among certain "batches" (?)  --David Nereson, RPT

Likewise here in Wichita, such as it is, Kansas. The big deal here, from
what I saw, was the mis-located bridge pins in the low tenor. This was in
the late 70s or early 80s. Baldwin, predictably, informed me that this
couldn't possibly happen because the bridges were NC drilled. Nevertheless,
I relocated a bunch of bridge pins in newly delivered pianos to establish a
previously non-existent offset angle. It was also, naturally, the first
they had heard of this problem which couldn't possibly exist. Not a single
loose cap from then to now, though there were a few cases of ribs nearly
falling off of soundboards, and plenty of bearing and soundboard crown
problems. I can't imagine anything benevolent enough about the climate here
that would minimize any tendency for bridges to come apart.

Ron N