Walter Coupling Strap

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:33:29 -0700

Del said: "Apples and snails. The device under discussion is the strap used
by Walter
in the 190. It is bolted to the bottom of the plate and to the bellyrail. I
don't see how it can fall out under any conditions. You are probably
referring to the wedge used in the larger Steinways. Different idea."

Del,
I realize the "strap" is bolted and can't fall out, in the Walter 190! Most
of these "staps" are not "Bolted", but rather "wedged" in place. They are
under pressure. In my mind they afford a counter-force, with the belly rail
being sandwiched between it and the beams. If I'm wrong about this, then it
would be nice if you would enlighten me with specifics.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I