Junk Pianos - Sad Shopping Story

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:30:47 -0500

Terry,

Seems like this happened to me a few years ago (not a Kincaid -Westbrook
maybe?). Because it was the first time I'd encountered this problem, I tried
pitch raise/tuning just to see, but it was no good.

John Formsma
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
  Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 5:04 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Junk Pianos - Sad Shopping Story

  Went to tune a piano a few months back for a new client. Two youngsters
taking piano lessons. Old worn-out upright. Talked her into junking the
piano and buying a newer one. Gave her some guidance for shopping. Told her
I do pre-purchase piano inspections. I told her phone calls are free.

  You know where this is going, don't you?

  Got a call from her and the kid's piano teacher a few weeks ago. They were
looking at a little console that was for sale by a local piano mover. They
described it and I said what they described sounded OK, but that I would
need to inspect it to offer a firm opinion. She calls a week or so ago, says
she bought the piano, and we scheduled a tuning.

  I went there yesterday. Kincade (Kimball) console. Open lid. Pinblock
split away from all five vertical back posts. About a quarter-inch
separation. Piano is 75 to 125 cents flat.

  I recommended she try to get her money back. She said she signed an AS-IS
purchase agreement. She paid $800 for this piece of $#@&!

  I recommended against tuning it. I suggested there was a better-than even
chance the tuning will not hold for long (hour? day? week? month?) and that
there is also the chance that raising the pitch would accelerate the
pinblock/frame migration, and even possibly put the integrity of the plate
at risk. I ultimately said that I was not comfortable raising the pitch to
A440.

  Anyone want to offer an opinion on my recommendations? Just curious what
YOU would have done.

  I also told her that it could be repaired, etc.

  Oh, and I also suggested that she call me next time for an inspection
BEFORE she buys another piano.

  Terry Farrell