Junk Pianos - Sad Shopping Story

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:20:58 -0500

At 10:05 4/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I've had TWO incidences where I've been called out AFTER they have gone
>to considerable expense and time spent on refinishing the piano--only to
>find that the guts are totally shot, strings rusted, etc. One case was
>particularly heartbreaking because it was a truly beautiful Victorian
>(American, not overdamper). I'd like to have rebuilt it, but no way Jose
>for them. The other was also a beauty: a magnificent 1904 Crown 4-pedal
>upright. Sigh.
>
>Alan R. Barnard
>Salem, MO

I know that pain, too.  We all love pianos which can be rehabilitated - if
we didn't, would we be in this line of work?

I may be pleasantly surprised at this $20 piano, but when the proud(?) new
owners are already allowing for the possibility of it being put to sleep,
I'm not holding my breath.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice