Diagnostic Quiz

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:32:32 -0700

MessageClue 1:  It's got to be friction Bud.... Try some CLP on the =
bearing points.

Clue 2:  Check string leveling. You should also check hammer flange =
friction. We here in Arizona find that the pinning is way too weak, and =
most of them really should be repinned, to the point that they deviate =
on a hard blow to not even hit the right string of a unison... That's my =
main gripe with Baldwins right now, anyway.

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 8:11 PM
  Subject: Diagnostic Quiz

  Older Hamilton Studio.=20

  Clue 1: Some strings tune oddly ... you turn the pin up (or down) =
quite a bit before you hear any change in pitch. (Hint: Nothing to do =
with friction or flex)

  Clue 2: Same notes, when struck, sound more like a banjo than a piano =
(very short sustain) with a hollow knocking sound superimposed.=20

  Your diagnosis, Doctors???

  My findings tomorrow ...

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO