raised key rails-- was kimball advice

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:21:38 -0500

This was a thread from a few days ago.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Carwithen" <edwithen@oregontrail.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 9:04 AM
Subject: kimball advice

 > Everything looks like it would work well if I just removed the key
frame,
> clean underneath and replace it so that it is flat to the keybed.
Then
the
> keys should have proper dip, even if some adjustment with felts needs
be
> done.

Dave Nereson responded:
    Then DO that!  The trash isn't "factory" and it's not normal for the
keyframe to be sitting up off the keybed.

Today I started regulating a Kimball vertical so I got a chance to see
this. At first when I read Ed's description, I was agreeing with what
Dave wrote. However, it is "factory" on the more recent verticals
according to the Kimball troubleshooting manual.

It's done to allow for quick changes by shimming the rails rather than
adding/removing punchings.

FYI in case anyone else should run into this in the future.

John Formsma