McLube for plate flange glassing

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:06:12 -0700

Terry,

At 04:12 PM 4/7/2004, you wrote:
>What is boat resin?

A specialized resin used for repair/building of fibreglass boats.  It mixes
and flows readily, with a good cure time (not too long/not too short), and
fills in porous materials better than other things I have tried.  Usually
available from marine hardware stores.

I do agree about using the thinnest acceptable material between block and
plate when using glass/epoxy.  If anyone does find a mold release that
works, I'd like to know about it...perhaps something that is painted or
smeared on, rather than sprayed?

Still, it goes to what one is comfortable working with, under what
circumstances.  Boar resin, for example, is really safely used (mostly) out
of doors.  Before trying anything, I would want to carefully read the
Materials Data Sheets to see if there was anything there that was
particularly objectionable.  A good deal of this is personal preference and
experience - what works very well for one person may be a disaster for
another...so, we compare notes and try to gain knowledge (and with it,
perhaps a bit of wisdom).

Best.

Horace