McLube for plate flange glassing

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:42:33 -0700

Hi, David,

At 07:24 AM 4/7/2004, you wrote:

>Has anyone used McClube 444A for preparation of the plate flange prior to
>glassing?  It is, afterall, a mold release formula.

Yes - but it is for use with plastic/resin/metal molds, not cast iron.

>   Does it provide
>adequate release properties for epoxy?

No.  The iron is too porous.  What did work, but was far too labor
intensive, was to "butter" the plate with fairly thin boat resin.  The
problem with that was working with resin that was sufficiently thin to
penetrate the plate (at least somewhat) and yet sufficiently thick so as
not to pool up too much.  Altogether too much trouble....so, I went back to
either wax or plasticized kraft paper. YMMV.

Best.

Horace