Walter Coupling Strap

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:54:49 -0700

I would guess the function is similar. Not a lot of the direct sting load is
coupled through these devices but they do serve the function of helping to
prevent the middle of the plate pinblock panel from rotating forward and
down. This does take some of the bending stress off of the inherently weak
plate strut located between the bass and tenor sections and, in theory at
least, should aid tuning stability.

No, the strap is not under tension. Nor much compression. Mostly bending as
in a beam, I should think.

Del