AB Chase Concert Grand

Dean May DeanMay@PianoRebuilders.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:18:44 -0500

Del wrote: It's the plate. Unless there is some kind of horn or other
coupling
mechanism.

Could you elaborate on why a horn would couple load but you don't feel the
nose bolts do? I don't see the functional difference. Maybe we are talking
about different things. Are you talking about the horn inside the action
cavity under the pin block at the bass break? Or the contraption bolted to
the rim on the picture in a previous post?

Also on the screws and compression set, that is a good point you make. It is
why it is important to check plate screws for tightness. But I would think
the amount of compression would diminish exponentially to a maximum. Perhaps
the compression nearing its maximum is one of the factors affecting when a
piano reaches tuning stability.

Del wrote: Not exactly. I have, however, watched factory workers remove the
screws
holding the plate/pinblock to the inner rim and install or remove shims to
raise or lower the front of the plate assembly without dropping tension. I
wonder what it was that was supporting all that string load while the plate
assembly was being adjusted for height? Certainly not the rim assembly.

This is an interesting observation. I've often wondered what that plate was
capable of. But you've got to admit that the front of the plate with all of
those wide flanges is considerably more rigid than the back part that goes
around the rim. I'd be curious to know what that did to the tuning of the
piano.

I am not arguing that the plate is incapable of carrying all of the load by
itself- especially the massive front end. Only that the wooden frame adds
rigidity and thus, stability.

I really appreciate your insights, Del.

Blessings,

Dean