AB Chase Concert Grand

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:31:04 -0400

At 10:15 PM -0400 4/5/04, JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:
>Most nose bolts 'are' placed between the hitch pin webbing and pinblock...now
>whether they provide tension or compression stiffening???????????
>  Or perhaps I misunderstand your comment.

The strength of the bolts is orientipated verticularly to the string
load, and serves only to restrain the plate struts and hitchpin webs
from buckling upwards. In doing this, they are put under tension.
(Pardon my language, I'm the product of an effete Eastern WASP
education.......)

The plate struts are parallel to the string load, and although offset
from the string plane by an inch or so (as compared to the beams'
6-7"), carry the load directly, by compression.

Bill Ballard