Temperaments...

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:56:24 -0600

On these various instruments you mentioned you only tune certain notes or
intervals and the rest are obtained by fingering, sliding etc.
On the violin you tune only four notes.  I helped my sister-in-law perfect
her tuning using a Peterson strobe (in ET) and the instrument came
alive.  A lot of violinists who are working on their tuning skills will
start by tuning each string to a piano, thereby ET.  The proper method
would be tune A and then intervals from there.  Just intervals would seem
to be the most likely result, they're easy to hear.  Why would you tune ET
when it's harder to hear and you will naturally intonate your instrument to
match in the presence of a fixed intonation instrument?  Of-course when you
are working with an instrument of fixed intonation you can tune each string
to unison with the corresponding notes on that instrument.

Andrew