OT - was Non-ETs: .......

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:42:18 -0500

If the golf industry made a club that hit the ball in one direction better than
in another,
it would be fine on the holes which played that way, but what would one do on
the holes
that went in the other direction. Guess you would have another club for that.?
Clubs are now
made to help correct very erratic shots by minimizing spin. This way the ball
has a tendency
to go fairly straight. In the hands of a good player, these clubs can still hit
the ball in a desired
direction. Sooooo, I think that the golf manufacturers are making clubs E.T.,
and letting the
accomplished players bend the ball to their liking.  In playing the violin, one
could play an open E,
on the E string, but musicains choose to play the E on the A string, so they can
apply vibrato, bend,
and the open string is played by players who are not as proficient and generally
can't tell the difference.
Seems like I've argued both sides here. Maybe that is why every now and again
this subject comes up,
and nothing is ever really decided, because those on the right feel the same
after all is said. Of course,
this discussion amongst pretty sharp people, does get the grey cells working.
It's possible that the
subject can't be resolved, so we should agree to disagree, and maybe someday
something will come
along to sway one group or the other, but I don't think it will be the E. piano,
whose tuning is quite E.T.
( I think )  Way too many variables to set hard and fast rules to. Great
musicians are considered that,
because of the way they play and interpret music. I wonder which key Mozart
would write in today.???

Carl / Wpg.