Non-ETs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:34:34 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Jason Kantor writes:
>Another silly argument.

My specialty.

>  Mozart was acutely aware of "color" differences
>between different keys, and used these contrasts consciously.

I'm not sure how you're aware of what Mozart was acutely aware of, or of
what he did either consciously or unconsciously, but I can believe that
this statement is true.

>  It is the key
>color that Mozart worked with as part of his palette, which we cannot
>discern in ET and which can emerge in a WT.

I have no argument with this, silly or otherwise.

>  The period instruments, halls
>etc are incidental and rather trivial; the quality of the harmony is the
>essential.

That's rather sweeping.  Weren't you the one cautioning someone else about
'declaiming like this'? There is a growing community of instrument makers
and restorers, performers, orchestras, and patrons that consider these
things anything but trivial.  Some of them would say that performing a
Mozart concerto on a Steinway D is a joke, an offence, or heresy.  A Mozart
concerto played by Seth Carlin on a Walter fortepiano with the Philharmonia
Baroque in Herbst Theater is a completely different thing than the same
concerto played on a Steinway D by Andre Watts with the New York
Philharmonic at Lincoln Center.  The differences made by instruments,
performers, orchestral size, and venue are so large as to render any
differences in choice of temperament incidental or trivial, in my view.

>  It's not "experience what Mozart did" -- it's "experience the key
>color that Mozart did".

The original quote was:

'However, if one wants to hear what Mozart was hearing, you can't use ET.'
- David Porritt

My interpretation of that was 'experience what Mozart did', not 'experience
the key color that Mozart did'.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting.

Phil Ford