Speaking Length of Strings

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 00:39:47 -0500

I have read Wolfden and the American Steel and Wire Piano Conferences
(which is no longer  available from the supply houses) where the
representative from AS&W also proposed equal tension scale.  He made
more sense.

I did restring a small grand to equal tension in the plain wire section.
If I did it again I would use a "graduated equal tension" scale. Would
be something on the lines of equal proportional increase in tension
based on elasticity limit and experimenting to find "optimum vibration
efficiency".  (Would that be a coefficient? ; )   BTW I computed the
tensions on an Atari 800 using a program in Basic I had to write.
Spread sheets sure are easier!!

As to specific questions regarding Wolfden, I would be glad to discuss
as soon as I can find out where he is hiding under.

---ric   (ric@pnotec.com)

      Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Swiss-German-US physicist.