Non-Equal Temperaments

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:59:27 -0600

Corte,
I experimented with Young on my wife's piano for a while and ended up
moving to Barnes Bach Well Temperament.  Rebeca plays a variety of
"classics" from pre-Bach to the modern composers such as Lecuena and
Katchaturien.  Debussy is a lot less "milky" but is still enjoyable.  We
enjoy the vocal quality of the beating in the chords.
One's choice in temperament will be guided by one's requirements for
musical genre.  If you want to be able to change keys you must have a
circulating temperament at least and if you don't want any change in key
color, ET is a requirement.  Some jazz players like a mild WT, some don't
notice and some just got to have ET.
As for holding a tuning, you notice the unisons first, always.  When you
change a piano from ET to a WT it will "remember" its last tuning and start
slipping back in the direction it came from.  I always treat changing from
one temperament to another as a two pass pitch raise.  After three tunings
the piano is quite stable where you put it.
As for other instruments being tuned to ET, that just is not so.  Many rock
musicians tune their guitars using "power chords" which are just
fifths.  Most other instruments utilize various forms of WT.
The piano and organ drove the more recent temperament developments.  They
are restricted in that they are fixed intonation instruments and have a
limited number of keys per octave.  Most other instrumentalists will adjust
their intonation, unconsciously, to a keyboard instrument when one is
present.  Choirs that sing a cappella will make a difference between C# and
D flat etc.
Werkmeister was developed for the organ and probably was not used much for
harpsichords and clavichords.  The impetus for ET came along with the
industrial revolution and the popularity of science and was less artist
driven than it was industry driven.  Indeed some artists resisted it.
Should we tune a WT today un-announced?  I would go milder than Young in
that case.  I generally presume ET unless I'm asked and then we discuss the
musician's repertoire.
ET is equally dissonant, the WTs are unequal temperaments where the C major
is usually the purest and the dissonance is to varying degree banished to
the more "remote" keys on the circle of fifths.  There was some philosophy
mixed up into that.  Some of the modern varieties abandon that rule and
they have interesting relationships to explore too.
It all comes down to taste eventually.  My wife and I have become
accustomed to the WT on our instrument and when we go piano shopping for
fun we always notice how "bland" the tunings sound.  I haven't seen a note
from Paul Bailey on this yet but I'll pass on something he told me.  He
tuned a piano to a modified mean-tone for a period concert.  Apparently
they don't want him to "de-power" the instrument now.  ;-)  Goes to show
that you can't fit people into hard and fast rules.

Enjoy your explorations and I would advise open-ness when utilizing an
alternate tuning.  Those who will shy away from the suggestion will be
those who would be the most incensed to discover it after the fact.

My few cents worth,
Andrew