Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:42:53 EDT

I wrote:
<< > I must confess amusement at the willingness to offer a totally

> unsupportable value judgment.  In 1915, autos were in the second decade of

> their

> evolution.  In 1750, temperaments were in their 20th century of development.

Tom Requests:

>>Support that statement, please.   You're claiming that people were tuning

temperaments in 750 BC?

Or do I misunderstand? >>

Yes, I think you misunderstood. (though I would have phrased it that people
were "tempering tunings).
    To support:  Pythagoras, in approx. 470 B.C. , 21 centuries before
Mozart,  defined a tuning of pure fifths.  Some scholars believe that he was simply
analyzing a scale that had been in use in Babylonia or Mesopotamia for a long
time.  The use of fifths to determine a scale produces what we now call the
diatonic scale of T,T,S, T,T,T,S  etc.  This became the basis of Western musical
construction, and until approx. the 9th century A.D.,  was used in various
configurations as modes.  However,  way back in the 300 B.C.  Aristoxenus
contested this manner of tuning and proposed several others.  The temperament wars
were on!

>From  http://www.72note.com/aristoxenus/aristoxenus.html
        "The school of Aristoxenes in the fourth century divided the tone
into four "rigorously equal" quarter tones, but in reality this division was not
considered as exact because Aristoxenes did admit in practice a certain
"freedom of variation of the intervals," a certain "latitude" for each note.
(d'Erlanger, Baron Rodolphe, La musique arabe. 3 vols. Paris: Paul Geuthner, 1930) in
[Daniélou, Alain, Music and The Power of Sound, Inner " .

Perhaps a more recent voice will be more palatable?
     "Ever since his own age a great controversy has raged about the
teachings of Aristoxenus. Instead of using ratios, he divided the tetrachord into 30
parts, of which, in his diatonic syntonon, each tone has 12 parts, each
semitone 6. . . ." [J. Murray Barbour, Tuning and Temperament, a Historical Survey,
Da Capo Press, New York, 1972, p22.]

   Thus, Tuning debates have been around for a long time.  To fully
appreciate and understand where we are, presently, it is essential that we know where
we came from.  ET was considered and rejected long before the industrial age
and manufacturer's desire for standardization caused it to become the default
system we know today.  Musicians of the time seemed to have fought for the
expressive abilities of a variety.    It is a fact that different degrees of
consonance have different musical effects and create different responses in the
listener.  This holds as true for a keyboards offerings from well-tempered keys as
it does for the violinist's choice of how sharp to make a leading tone.
    These changes in consonance cause changes in the emotional response of
the listener.  Consider the serene calmness of a Pastoral composed and performed
in C on a well-tempered keyboard as contrasted with a gut-wrenching,
tension-filled dissonant funeral dirge played in Ab or Bmin on the same instrument.
The amount of "out-of-tuneness" has a very strong effect on how these different
compostions are perceived by listeners.  These differences in physical phase
relationships affect the sensitive audience in emotional ways, not
intellectual.  Those that listen with their intellect may miss this, but those that want
to become emotionally engaged listen with a different antenna.  They receive a
different *meaning* from the stimulus.  It is not only due to the tempering,
the composer's creativity has the main influence, but the use of consonance or
lack thereof appears to be an important aspect of the art.
    Those that would approach the making of music as a science may derive a
different meaning from how it sounds.  To quote M. McLuhan, "Meaning is the
product of a message being received:  it is NOT a unique property of the
message".
   For some, (myself included), music is a spiritual activity and we pursue
ways of making it more so.  It is a small step from the emotional to the
spiritual world, and the spiritual world is a world which,  by definition, the
scientist is barred from entering.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT